Thursday, January 7, 2010

Felted Monster


I have a cutie named Jack. He's turning three this year. There really isn't all that much for little misters in the tutorial world. LOTS for girls, but finding fun things to make for boys is kind of tricky.

Felt toys are pretty popular right now, especially ones that have that homespun flare. Imperfections are part of their charm.


So, introducing this cute/ugly/scary/hilarious felted monster doll. I have the full detailed pattern and instructions available on etsy for a mere $5.00. You can find it HERE. If they sell out, you can email me at emhward@hotmail.com and I'll list some more.


Otherwise, follow this quick tutorial and figure it out as we go. No sewing divas necessary. This is super simple and like I previously said, imperfections are part of its charm.




1. Pin the pattern pieces to your fabric and cut out.














2. Construct your arms and legs.














3. Sew on facial features.














4. Pin arms and legs to front side of face, pointing inward, and sew in place.


5. Sew the bottom strip to the face, being sure the legs and arms are pointing inward.














6. Sew hair onto the back.




















7. Attach back to the face and bottom. Sew it up.




















8. Turn monster right-side out and stuff.




















9. Pinch opening shut and seal it up with a whip stitch.












YAY! All done. Get creative with your facial features, hair, and any other
embellishments you'd like to add. Although I used wool felt, you can use whatever.


4 comments:

  1. totally am loving this! and everything else on your blog.. thanks for some great inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I love it! I just bought the pattern so I can make some for my nephews. I may even pink it up a little and make one for each of my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great! Thanks for making something for a boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,
    I just wanted to let you know that I've got a new featured button (I featured your Valentines cards in January). I also have a new MckLinky party called Tot Tuesdays which starts today. I hope you'll stop by & share some of your great ideas:
    :

http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-ever-tot-tuesdays-mcklinky-party.html
    

Cheers,
Jenn

    ReplyDelete