Thursday, February 25, 2010

Creamed Spinach and Chicken Soup

It's not too often that I make a soup and my husband says, "wow! This is great!" He's kind of a soup nazi... not a fan of the stuff. Well, like a broken record, I've had sick kids AGAIN the past two weeks. So, I felt inclined to make soup. I found this recipe here, but had to do a few modifications to make it gluten free (my mom has celiac disease). Here's what I did:

You will need:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper
3 carrots
long grain rice
1 can of black beans
1 package of frozen spinach
1 package of cream cheese
milk
butter
parmesan cheese
nutmeg
corn starch

1. In a big pot, boil chopped chicken and thinly sliced carrots in water and salt.

2. Meanwhile, start cooking your rice according to the package's instructions.

3. Now for the creamy spinach. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter and a cup of milk.

Once that is combined, add 1/4 c. of corn starch as a thickener. Whisk.

Add the package of softened cream cheese. Melt mixture together, stirring regularly.

Pop the package of frozen spinach in the microwave for 15 seconds to soften it up a bit, and toss it into the saucepan, stirring regularly.

Add 1 tsp. of nutmeg, 1 tbs. salt (or garlic salt), and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese.

Stir the mixture until it thickens.

4. Once rice is fully cooked, add it to the chicken, carrots, and water. Add a can of black beans,
followed by the creamy spinach mixture. Let the pot simmer for ten minutes and serve!

Sorry I didn't take pictures. But, I promise this was truly a delightful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment