Monday, January 18, 2010

Welcome Mamma Tortilla

I would like to welcome Melissa from Mamma Tortilla and thank her for her guest posting for today's sweet little goodie. Not only is this super easy (my favorite way to do things), but the result is just too cute.

Although this particular tutorial was built for the darling cutie to the left, this same idea can be applied to girls of all ages. Maybe even mommies?

If you would like to check out Melissa and Leslie over at the Mamma Tortilla, check them out here. They really are a couple of clever ladies.






Materials:
1 t-shirt
10 x 44 coordinating material (longer or wider to adjust for a different size)
optional : ric rac, embellishments, lace, flowers

1. Cut your coordinating fabric 10 x 44 and hem the bottom edge.



2. To create the pleats I folded down and ironed 2 1/2 inches and then
flipped the fabric and ironed down 1 inch. I did this repeatedly until I
reached the end. You could also run two lines of stitching along the top
and gather to create a ruffled skirt rather than a pleated one.

3. With right sides together sew along the side of the skirt piece.

4. Turn the t-shirt and skirt piece inside out. Pin the edge of the skirt
to the edge of the t-shirt. To create the appearance of a shirt over the
skirt you pin the right side of the skirt to the wrong side of the shirt.

5. Sew skirt to shirt. I sewed along the existing seam of the shirt and
then topstitched lace to jazz it up a little. I also added a flower using a
modified version of this one from my My Mama Made It.

5 comments:

  1. Super cute! I love it! Welcome to the 'crafty blog block' btw, you've got some great stuff! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is darling. I am so doing this. The pleats make ALL the difference. Mind you the lace is a super nice touch too. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute little dress! And an adorable little model!

    I blogged your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-easy-pleated-dress-for-a-little-girl/2010/01/18/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these dresses, but too totally scared to try it. This is beautiful, so is the model! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is adorable, I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete